donderdag 28 februari 2013

Reading the bible with kids

For some time now I've been looking for ways to deepen our bible reading times. For several years now I've been reading to them during breakfast - different children's bibles have crossed our table, stories getting more detailed as the kids grow older. It's been good but now I want more. I am finding that my children know the stories all too well. What they are lacking is how these stories pertain to their lives. Why did God include these stories in the bible? What can we learn from them? About God? About the human race? About ourselves?

I started looking around on the internet for ideas. What do other parents do? And I came across a book called: Together. Growing Appetites for God by Carrie Ward, an everyday mama. Carrie felt God calling her to read the entire bible with her children (3 at the time, all under the age of 4). And she did. Not a children's bible. She actually read the real bible. And her kids were younger than mine are now. So I wondered - would my kids understand the sometimes really hard-to-understand language of the bible? Would their attention drift as mine frequently does when someone else reads out loud from the bible to me? Or would they become rivited as Carrie's children had been?


I decided to do a test drive. In order to have more time I started postphoning my own breakfast so that I could spend that time reading to the kids instead. First I read a story from the children's bible. And then I read that same story from the real bible. I leave the children's bible open so they can look at the amazing artwork while they listen to the same story again. And it's interesting!
The eldest (who is 7yrs) can't wait to hear more. At lunch he will ask if we can continue where we left off in the mornings! The second (6yrs) doesn't seem to be paying much attention but sometimes he'll suddenly say something profound or touch back on something we read later in the afternoons when he's back from school.
Reading from the real bible is sparking discussion. About what certain words mean. About cultural differences: bible times vs. this day and age and middel-eastern ways vs. our ways here. The stories are coming alive!

I'm not sure I'm ready to read the entire bible through from Genesis to Revelation but I am delighted at the positive way the children are responding to being read to from God's Word, just as it is, tough words and all. Since I am half way through a new children's bible at the moment I've decided to finish reading that bible, with parallel readings from God's Word. And I pray that God will reach out and touch their hearts and lives. After all, God promises: "so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." (Isaiah 55:11) And that's my prayer: that it may reach our hearts and do God's great work in us.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten