zaterdag 27 april 2013

DIY dry erase sleeve

Dry erase pen uses are all over pinterest and I'm absolutely SOLD!

Picture frames

One of the most popular uses for dry erase pens for adults is on the glass of a picture frame. You can put whatever you want in the picture frame (most people put calenders or (meal / clean) planning schedules or to do lists in there). And then - just write on the glass and wipe it off when you're done. Wonderful!
Examples here, here and here.

I adapted this method a little because I wanted my calender taped on a kitchen cupboard door (has to withstand the door being banged shut). I found out that you can use dry erase pens on laminated paper as well! So all I did was print an empty calender I liked, laminate it and now it's taped to my kitchen cupboard door and works really well!

The printable calender I used is a free (meal planner) printable from Picklebum.com. I liked this version because I only have to laminate it once. I write the dates in at the beginning of each month. But if you prefer an actual calender by month she's also made a beautiful free calender you can print.

Activity books

Activity books is another really popular use for dry erase pens. Some folks put the activity pages in sheet protectors. Examples here, here and here.
The quality of our sheet protectors is actually pretty awful so that's not an option for me. Another mom laminates all her activity pages. The result is a really beautiful and practical book that can stand being used by several little hands. Example here and here.

However, I only have 2 boys so although durability is important, that's a little too durable relative to the amount of work. I found another option: dry erase sleeves that you can buy (here (US), here (NL)). But, being the person I am I figured: perhaps I can make something just as workable myself for so much less money. So I thought of the clear-laminate sleeve.

The Clear Laminate Sleeve

How to make it:
Laminate some white cardboard/ cardstock. This will be your back.
Now laminate nothing - giving you a clear but relatively durable laminated sheet. This will be the front sheet - the one your kids (or you) will write on.
Cut about 1cm off the top of the front sheet. This is to make it easier to remove the paper when you're done and want to replace it with something else. I added a black line with permanent marker.
Tape the sides and bottom of the 2 laminated sheets together and there you have it: your own laminated  sleeve.

Now just print out activity sheets, games like hangman, close the square, mazes, connect the dots, yatzee etc etc. Or let the kids go crazy and draw 100 pictures on it. Great for in the car, airplane, waiting room or even just at home! And the really great part? You can use each page again and again and again!
Have fun with it!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten